It was built for the Universal Exhibition of 1929 and housed the Metallurgy, Electricity and Motive Power sector. In 1931 it became the headquarters of the Trilla-La Riva Studios, since the rectangular floor plan of the palace offered the ideal conditions to host one of the largest movie sets in all of Spain. The film studios functioned as the country’s first professional sound and dubbing platform. Just one year later, in 1932, the first silent film was shot and in 1935 they shot their first sound film, ‘El secreto de Ana María’. In the 1940s there was a great increase in the number of films shot and in 1956, ‘We are not alone’ was filmed, the first film shot in the innovative cinemascope system.
Starting in the 1960s, the use of the facilities returned to its origins as a venue for exhibitions and events, and in the 1990s, the Metallurgy, Electricity and Motive Power Pavilion was expanded with several adjoining areas.